8.09.2009

pgs. 430 and 431...blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

 31 Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, I will declare unto you my adoctrine.
  32 And this is my adoctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me; and I bear brecord of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the cHoly Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me.
  33 And whoso believeth in me, and is abaptized, the same shall be bsaved; and they are they who shall cinherit the kingdom of God.
  34 And whoso believeth not in me, and is not abaptized, shall be damned.
  35 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso abelieveth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him bwith fire and with the cHoly Ghost.
  36 And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the aHoly Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are bone.
  37 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and abecome as a blittle child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things.
  38 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little achild, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.
  39 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my adoctrine, and whoso bbuildeth upon this buildeth upon my rock, and the cgates of hell shall not prevail against them.
  40 And whoso shall adeclare more or less than this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil, and is not built upon my rock; but he buildeth upon a bsandy foundation, and the gates of hell stand open to receive such when the floods come and the winds beat upon them.
  41 Therefore, go forth unto this people, and declare the words which I have spoken, unto the ends of the earth.
THIRD NEPHI
THE BOOK OF NEPHI
THE SON OF NEPHI, WHO WAS THE SON OF HELAMAN
CHAPTER 12
Jesus calls and commissions the Twelve—He delivers to the Nephites a discourse similar to the Sermon on the Mount—He speaks the Beatitudes—His teachings transcend and take precedence over the law of Moses—Men are commanded to be perfect even as he and his Father are perfect—Compare Matthew 5. [A.D. 34]
  1 aAnd it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words unto Nephi, and to those who had been called, (now the number of them who had been called, and received power and authority to bbaptize, was ctwelve) and behold, he stretched forth his hand unto the multitude, and cried unto them, saying: dBlessed are ye if ye shall give heed unto the words of these twelve whom I have echosen from among you to minister unto you, and to be your servants; and unto them I have given power that they may baptize you with water; and after that ye are baptized with water, behold, I will baptize you with fire and with the Holy Ghost; therefore blessed are ye if ye shall believe in me and be baptized, after that ye have seen me and know that I am.
  2 And again, more blessed are they who shall abelieve in your words because that ye shall testify that ye have seen me, and that ye know that I am. Yea, blessed are they who shall bbelieve in your cwords, and dcome down into the depths of humility and be baptized, for they shall be visited ewith fire and with the Holy Ghost, and shall receive a remission of their sins.
  3 Yea, blessed are the apoor in spirit who bcome unto me, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
  4 And again, blessed are all they that amourn, for they shall be bcomforted.
  5 And blessed are the ameek, for they shall inherit the bearth.
  6 And blessed are all they who do ahunger and bthirst after crighteousness, for they shall be dfilled with the Holy Ghost.
  7 And blessed are the amerciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
  8 And blessed are all the apure in heart, for they shall bsee God.
  9 And blessed are all the apeacemakers, for they shall be called the bchildren of God.
  10 And blessed are all they who are apersecuted for my name’s sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
  11 And blessed are ye when men shall arevile you and persecute, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake;
  12 For aye shall have great joy and be exceedingly glad, for great shall be your breward in heaven; for so cpersecuted they the prophets who were before you.
  13 Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the asalt of the earth; but if the salt shall lose its savor wherewith shall the earth be salted? The salt shall be thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out and to be trodden under foot of men.
  14 Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.
  15 Behold, do men light a acandle and put it under a bushel? Nay, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house;
  16 Therefore let your alight so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and bglorify your Father who is in heaven.
  17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law or the prophets. I am not come to destroy but to fulfil;

Chapter 12 verses 3-12 are commonly known as the "beatitudes" and I have heard some people call chapters 12-14 "The Sermon on the Temple" as it is so similar to "The Sermon on the Mount" in the New Testament book of Matthew.  Something new I learned in my study today is from foot note 'a' of Matthew 5:3.  There we are told "the Latin 'beatus' is the basis of the English 'beatitude' meaning to be fortunate, happy, or blessed." This means as we read through the beatitudes we could substitute "blessed are..." for "happy are..." or "fortunate are..." and it helps give us another perspective on the Savior's words.  
Every promise in the beatitudes has been the subject of many essays, books, talks and lessons and rightly so.  The verses are inspirational and give us all something to work on and strive for in our quest to be more like our Savior Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment